Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Masscapes

I just returned from a 12 day trip to my home state of Massachusetts. The south shore of Massachusetts is a place that at once can evoke feelings of longing and the desire to find an escape. It's a complex reaction I find I have with each return visit. It is an incredibly inspiring place with beautiful vistas, homes, and people. But at the same time, these things can sometimes become oppressive. Eventually, the need to disentangle myself from a place that holds too much of my past overpowers the beauty and charm of the area.

This trip held a first for me. It was the first time I wanted to celebrate this area through paint; To do it justice by capturing its inherent beauty as well as some of the honest, ugliness that occurs here. I did not get the time I dreamt of, but I did manage a few feeble attempts to capture some of its ever changing beauty in a few, tiny shoreline paintings.
(**the quality of these photos may be poor as these were taken from a cell phone. Until the paintings are dry enough to ship, this is all I have to show.)














Rocky Nook
oil on panel
4" x 5"














Tidal Waters (view of Cordage Rope Company)
oil on panel
8" x 10"

No comments:

Post a Comment