Monday, June 8, 2009

Life Drawings




























The two drawings above are charcoal on 18" x 24" paper. All of the poses were approximately 25 minutes long. I took flack from my husband for not even suggesting the face of the lower one. Besides myself, he's my toughest critic. It's ok though, because it keeps me improving. His life drawings are to die for when he gets time infront of a figure (and actually uses real media and not a computer).

The two drawings below are done using Derwent Watercolour pencils (Burnt Umber or VanDyke Brown, which I bought individually, not in a huge kit as the link suggests) in my sketchbook (a moleskine) which is approximately 9.75" x 7.5". Water will hopefully never touch these pages as the paper is too thin to handle such abuse. However, I like the idea and may experiment with some gestures on heavier paper with these and add water.

I really love the last pose. It expresses so much emotion. I think I will try to investigate this pose again soon (and for a longer period of time). I also like in this last drawing how much your eye fills in on its own. Economy of lines is working well in this one (in my humble opinion).



















8 comments:

  1. Wow, these are gorgeous - love the next-to-last one especially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, Thank you! That's the only one were I got into a bit of value (a very little bit). I really enjoy drawing foreshortened poses.
    -Cheers, Alia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I found the next to last one very relaxing and enjoyable. It's great how it bleeds off the page. Gorgeous drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thans Ted! I guess that's a favorite. I'm really enjoying the H20colour pencil. Used it again tonight, and it's much more fluid for me than graphite (no pun intended). I really don't enjoy how scratchy feeling graphite can be. Do you now what I mean? Dry and makes a bad sound. The binder (can't be wax, if it's soluable in water, I think?) makes these pencils move over the paper much smoother and more silent as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alia, your drawings are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katelyn (love that spelling!), thanks for your nice comment. I enjoyed seeing your work as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recognize this model! She has the most incredible shape (and hair!). I really enjoyed sketching her, maybe a year ago. Glad to see she's still at AS.

    ReplyDelete